How to add to your contacts by uploading a CSV
Looking at an Excel document full of contacts you'd like to reach with your custom email tool or automated campaigns? Let's get them added to your admin!
Perhaps you've exported the contacts currently in your admin as a CSV file and are simply looking to update those existing contacts and add some new ones. The process below will help you accomplish those bulk updates too!
Pssst: you can also add contacts manually!
Click here to learn more.
First, let's be sure your Excel document has all the necessary details:
- Click here to download a sample CSV file.
This CSV will show you all of the possible fields you can include for each contact. It is not required that you include these details for each contact.
In the example document above, you'll see columns for:
- First Name*
- Last Name*
- Gender (optional)
- Birth Date (optional)
- Client Anniversary (optional)
- Marital Status (optional)
- Phone (optional)
- Group (optional) - Use this column to assign your contacts to "Groups." You can include as many groups here as you'd like, each separated by a comma. Once imported, these contacts will be assigned to the groups listed in this column.
Click here for more
information on "Groups."
*It is required that you split full names into two columns: first and last
Note: the column headers in your CSV file do not need to match the above. You will have the option to "map" the data in your CSV to these various categories once you import (see screenshot at the bottom of this article)
Be sure your Excel document is saved as a CSV file:
With your CSV file saved, open your FMG Suite admin and navigate to Email >> Contacts:
On the right-hand corner of your Contacts page, click the gear/settings icon to find the option to "Import CSV:"
Next, you will have the option to either update existing contacts or add new contacts to your existing contacts:
- "Update and add to existing contacts:" select this option if your CSV includes updates to your current contacts. If, for example, you exported your contacts as a CSV, then updated the details for several existing contacts and are looking to apply those updates — select this option.
- "Add to existing contacts:" select this option if your CSV only contains brand new contacts.
Next, you'll be able to map your imported document to various contact fields:
Here, you are assigning the various columns in your CSV to the available contact fields in your admin. To the right of this table you'll see a preview — this will show how the settings here will apply to your import.
When you're happy with how that preview looks - complete the import by clicking "Upload Contacts."